Saturday, April 18, 2009

God loves our empty hands.

Ahh, the hot Indian days of summer. Like really really hot. It was 42 yesterday, which I think is around 115 degrees! I've been laying low during daylight hours but we are venturing out today to see the sites and sounds of Hyderabad! I decided that I definitely need to experience this city before we leave on our great adventures. Speaking of which, we leave Tuesday for Cochin... or what I like to refer to as the guaranteed rodeo. The incredible reality of this trip is that Mark, Liz, and I are traveling with a group of 17 Indians on a 25+ hour train ride (each way!) in economy class... hahaha! I will definitely have a few stories from that one!

School let out this week which has limited our activity schedule and upped our napping/tv watching schedule. After school let out the kids put together a performance for me. They are so incredibly cute! There were four Bollywood-style dance numbers. Unfortunately, the last song refused to cooperate and the performance degenerated quickly into a free-for-all talent show of sorts. Anyone who had a song to sing took the mike and a few of the teachers shared their dance moves. I got to hear one of the most unique and wonderful versions I will ever hear of "The 12 Days of Christmas." It was so precious!

Liz and I got the opportunity the other night to have our first Indian cooking lesson! Verginia very graciously invited us to dinner and let us come early to help prepare the food so she could teach us about Indian cooking. Their family of five lives in a two room concrete house: one room for living and one for cooking. It is a gorgeous little place opening to a shared courtyard and stairs to the rooftop that looks almost Italian. Indian style kitchens have only a stove top and storage. There isn't counter space (squat and use the floor, there's plenty of that) and there isn't a sink (just fill a jug with water and dip out as needed). I love the simplicity. It is clearly completely sufficient for creating delicious meals! Lets just say that Indians are not scared to use an incredible amount of spice and flavoring for their cooking. Hopefully I will have a chance to demonstrate when I get back!

In other news, "our" dog had six puppies yesterday. Really she's the mother of "our" dog, Spicy, but she hangs out quite a bit and chose our front door to give birth next to. The babies are adorable: two white, one black, and three black with white marks. Mama isn't black or white so we're trying to figure out who dad might be... that little hussy. Anyway, if anyone would like to adopt an Indian pup with unknown paternity I would be happy to get directions for you to come and get them!

Finally, my quotes for the day and a bit about feelings (dedicated to Em). I'm going to blame the extra time I've had on my hands, but I've been spending an unfortunate amount of time worrying about what on earth to do with my life. I tend to do this when I don't have work lined up and think that I suddenly need to find a career to pursue. I then get further panicked when I realize that not only do I not have a job and therefore, purpose in life, but I don't have a home or a husband or a way to take care of my dog or... you get the idea. Actually, if you're reading this you are most likely very familiar with the "Brishon Downward Spiral" of thought as I have probably spent countless hours on your couch or on the phone over the past 5 years with the EXACT SAME ISSUES. I know, I know, but at least I'm aware of it. My current strategy is to embrace the unknown and try to breathe. So my quotes to consider are these:

"Know that God loves empty hands." -Werner Bergengruen

And once again, reminding me to be gentle with myself:

"There may be no solution, seek it lovingly."

Namaste (for a few more days) from the Guest House.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the feelings! I've had lots lately.
    Just remember to try to enjoy where you are now; there will be plenty of time for worrying later. I guess that might not mean too much coming from one of the greatest worriers ever, but....
    miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your words brishy and your heart and everything that is flowing out of you in the midst of your travel. oh how amazing this time is for you.

    ReplyDelete