Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The journey

I have arrived in India!!  Unfortunately, I have not yet arrived in Hyderabad quite yet but that should happen in the next few hours.  I am sincerly hoping that Liz and Mark haven't given up on me and will still be there to get me, especially since it will be about 2AM by the time I land and they have to go to school tomorrow!

I have a few random quotes on my mind and if I have time will share a few random thoughts about India.

First, it must be addressed that this blog is for Emily.  The blog title is of Emilial inspiration as well.  I think it fits as I tend to be both literally and figuratively a "guest house" so here is the poem in its entirety as it is one of the thoughts that I have not been able to get off my mind lately...

This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing, 
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each as been sent
as a guide from beyond.
-Rumi

The next quote I've been chewing on for some reason comes from one of my most favorite, brilliant, theological minds.  I have to be honest that I'm not exactly sure why this particular quote has been stirring the fathoms of my mind the last couple weeks.  I will not try to explain but continue to wait and see how it's meaning unfolds for me....

"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart."  - C.S. Lewis

The final quote is a Zen saying that gives me so much peace in problems that are small and big.  I've been dwelling on this one for many months and the last couple weeks it has been whispering in my ear again...

"There may be no solution.  Seek it lovingly."

So with that off my chest I will have to sign off for now.  I will have to update how everything is going when I do reach Hyderbad as all I have been left with at this point is 200 rupees and my smile.  I have already fallen victim to the Indian game of "overcharge whitey."  I am about to run out of internet time that I already overpaid for and will hopefully be boarding my flight in the next few minutes.  Until then!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it! Especially the name and the reprinting of Guest House. You know it holds a special place for me as well. I hope you made it safe. So happy to read your words and hear your voice in this empty house....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love guest house... never read that before. so good. and the other quotes as well. they are all written in my journal now as well :)
    i love you and hope your journey continues in such beautiful deep thought provoking simplicity.

    ReplyDelete